[opendtv] Re: Comment: Complexity bites Apple, puts reputation at stake

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 15:52:49 -0400

At 10:48 AM -0700 4/10/10, Francis Martin wrote:
Jailbreak the thing, like any techie worth his salt has done on his iPhone. I'm pretty sure jailbeoken iPads already exist, removing the walls from that garden.

Most jailbroken iPhones were hacked in order to use them on networks other than AT&T or the local carrier(s) that Apple uses in each country, or for use in countries where the iPhone is not available.

Since the iPad can be used with Wi Fi networks there is little need to jailbreak them. If you want cellular, the optional 3G version and data plans are very attractive (you can sign up for a month at a time).

The important point here is that the vast majority of iPad buyers have no desire to hack their new toy. Apparently it must do what they wanted it for, and it does it in a manner that is easy for almost anyone to approach.

Time will tell if this is a watershed moment, or just another market niche that Apple can exploit while the "I'm a PC" crowd continues to live within the walls that have enslaved them for decades.

I've got better things to do with my time...

My educated guess is that in a year or two, Apple will have a larger market cap than Microsoft.