[opendtv] Re: Comcast-owned NBC blocks Sling TV commercials - Business Insider

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 22:59:03 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

That's crap. Every time a cable system drops a broadcast station
there is an immediate surge in homes switching from cable to a
DBS service.

Which does not mean people drop the cable service, because that's how they get
their broadband connection. And I'm pretty positive that the majority of
households does not do what you claim, Craig, because installing DBS is not
necessarily a trivial process. OTA could be far easier, for those closer in,
who can use indoor antennas. But I'll bet the vast majority wait it out while
they are whining about it. And that's the reason. They need that cable
connection anyway. They have become totally dependent.

You can't escape the obvious, Craig. If finding alternatives to that MVPD you
depend on were as trivial as you claim, then retrans consent battles would not
exist. Because the broadcasters would lose every single time. The fact that
retrans consent battles do exist proves my point.

Yes It would be Comcast that would need to create the Virtual
MVPD service. To do so they would need cooperation from the
other content owners, who may see no reason to cooperate.

Like I already said, they should hire "Dish consultant services," to see how
Dish performed that bit of magic. The content owners do cooperate, because they
see their traditional old school model losing steam. And the younger
generations accelerating that process. It's that simple.