[opendtv] Re: Comcast sued for not selling set-top boxes, CableCARDs

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:18:05 -0800

You presume several times, all wrong.  You can't do this in a few seconds;
you need to read the holdings in the FCC rulings that implemented rule
changes.  It's the "regulatory record" and helps explain any ambiguities.

You can't use letters from petitioners to support positions.  You can use
their perceived need (or desire) to see what the underlying rules are.

And, while you may have said several times that the FCC gives cable systems
the option of how to implement channels, you were wrong each time.  Some of
these regulations only were written a few months ago (and the
clarifications), so they haven't made their way into the Code of Federal
Regulations.  You need to refer to the FCC Record for parts, but all
regulatory changes need to be published in the Federal Register for at least
60 days before they can be incorporated into the Code of Federal
Regulations, which generally is only updated as of October 1, each year.

I've actually read the rule changes -- and the FCC proceedings -- which I
allude to in this matter.  It's so tiresome dealing with you, that I won't
even point you in the right direction by giving you a document citation.
Heck you even get those wrong, by citing the FCC number, and not the DA
number (Delegation of Authority.)

I don't need to search the FCC web site for them; I grabbed them when they
were released, because I knew the significance when they were issued.  And,
I never read Commissioner statements or news releases; only the texts.  The
former are almost exclusively blather (your type of thing) and the latter
have no procedural value (it's been plainly stated on the news releases of
Commission decisions for more than 2 decades.)

Congress can't tell an independent regulatory agency to reword something;
it's out of their jurisdiction.  They can decide to not fund an agency, or a
part of an agency, until rules are written to their satisfaction.  And, they
can change the IRA (independent regulatory agency) jurisdiction, or even
change the underlying code.

I can run rings around you with 3/4 of my brain tied around my back.

John Willkie