[opendtv] Re: Circular, elliptical antenna polarization improves mobile DTV reception reliability, says Schadler

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:32:45 -0400

Mark,

I notice that you (correctly, I believe) did NOT make a reference to “circular”
polarization in your reply.  Should these types of transmissions be referred to
as “dual” polarization, or is there any attempt (or need) to phase the
emissions to create a true rotating polarization?

Most people seem to mean “dual” when they say circular with regard to this
topic.  I’m curious about this.  Lacking a circularly polarized receiving
antenna, is there any advantage to true circular polarization with I digital
signal?  You can’t see the ghosts anymore to help you orient the antenna.  What
do you think?

Thanks,

Ken Hunold

mobile DTV reception reliability, says Schadler

Yes. Power is designated based on horizontal, and one may choose to ADD up to
100% into the vertical component. So, one would require 2x xmit power with full
CP.

Mark A. Aitken
Director of Advanced Technology
Sinclair Broadcast Group