[opendtv] Circular, elliptical antenna polarization improves mobile DTV reception reliability

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OPENDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:31:11 -0700

On 4/25/2011 4:32 PM, Hunold, Ken wrote

Mark,
I notice that you (correctly, I believe) did NOT make a reference to “circular” polarization in your reply. Should these types of transmissions be referred to as “dual” polarization?

 Semantically you are correct.
Practically however, if a dipole antenna directed at a transmit antenna having equally powered dual polarization, is rotated 360 degrees on it's axis, it should receive equal amounts of power at all degrees of the circle.

I’m curious about this. Lacking a circularly polarized receiving antenna, is there any advantage to true circular polarization with digital signal? You can’t see the ghosts anymore to help you orient the antenna. What do you think?

My initial reaction is that there would be little or no advantage to "true" C.P. in the mobile environment but I do stand to be corrected. Mobile handheld devices are the worse case for DTV reception (the small marginal antenna will most always be out of alignment) and would definitely benefit from dual polarization.
However my original concern was; "but at what cost?"

Dale