[opendtv] Re: Chip makers venture into portable HD H.264 market

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:36:23 -0500

I think its driven by trying to cover all the bases because no one really knows whats needed.  Real time transcode to 264 isnt required...why?  In the app I am aware of, they wanted to transcode incoming MPEG2 HD to 264 for DVR storage.  That can be done in the background.

Hughes Gary-DJWV76 wrote:
In a previous gig with a chip/DSP vendor, there was a lot of interest in
a PVR that could record incoming MPEG-2 streams and background transcode
them to H.264 for storage efficiency. So there were a few customers who
wanted MPEG-2 decode and H.264 encode/decode.

It was never clear to me whether this really driven by customer
requirements or chip limitations (the chip could not do real-time H.264
encode at the time).

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering