[opendtv] Re: Chip makers venture into portable HD H.264 market

  • From: "Hughes Gary-DJWV76" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 14:02:49 -0500

In a previous gig with a chip/DSP vendor, there was a lot of interest in
a PVR that could record incoming MPEG-2 streams and background transcode
them to H.264 for storage efficiency. So there were a few customers who
wanted MPEG-2 decode and H.264 encode/decode.

It was never clear to me whether this really driven by customer
requirements or chip limitations (the chip could not do real-time H.264
encode at the time).

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering