[opendtv] Re: Chip makers venture into portable HD H.264 market

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:05:41 -0500

Again, they talk about manufacturers, you infer consumers as well.

Go to Best Buy and find the number of US manufacturers of consumer digital electronic equipment. Not US brand names, but US manufacturers.

I think you will find that what few US and European equipment manufacturers there still are focus on making STBs. The vast majority of digital cameras and camcorders are made in Asia, and are the types of equipment to benefit most from low power consumption. Perhaps that is the rationalization for the phrasing you bring into question?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

This is what I was referring to, John. What about this is different from
what Euro or US manufacturers (or consumers) would want. Are Euro or US
manufacturers (and consumers) *not* interested in H.264 real-time
encoding for portable appliances or for PVRs? Why not? Wouldn't HDTV
PVRs benefit from more efficient use of their hard drive space?