[opendtv] Re: China OKs its own terrestrial DTV spec

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:39:49 -0400

I never received my own post that you responded to here. Strange.

There is an IEEE Symposium in DC the end of the month. Mike Simon will be
talking about A-VSB and there will be a representative from Tsinghua
University, a Jian Song, on the subject of the Chinese modulation, DMB-T/H.
Also Maybe a Dr. Yang of Legend Silicon which has implementation rights,
whatever that is, to DMB-T/H.

http://www.ieee.org/organizations/society/bt/06abs/06sympoindex.html

Bob Miller

On 9/12/06, Manfredi, Albert E < albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

> No one is supporting the VSB option either with receivers
> or transmitters.
>
> It was included only to be "politically correct", to get
> past the argument.
> So I guess we will see a shoot-out between the two
> modulations with equal market conditions. But my source
> says its all over before it starts. No support whatsoever
> for the VSB option.

In spite of your "source," I think this should be an interesting
shootout if it does occur. The reason being, IIRC, the TS-COFDM scheme
uses a new training sequence sent instead of the GI, correct? So in
principle, this now works very much like their version of VSB.

Assuming they use the same, presumably perfectly designed training
sequence, for COFDM and for VSB, I'd be very curious indeed to see the
tradeoffs. Let's hope this is put to a real test, both urban and rural
settings.