[opendtv] Re: China DTV

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 15:32:38 -0400

All I know is the California law stipulating 8 Watts on and 1 Watt on
standby. The debate in the Senate Commerce Committee was pretty
intense over this issue.

How much will an 18 to 22 Watt receiver cost those demographically
challenged folks the converter box is aimed at in spirit at least?

What does 2 Watts cost 24/7/365?

I wonder what the Chinese STB would draw on standby.

Bob Miller

On 10/2/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Miller wrote:

> Power for Chinese HD receiver on.
>
> 200 mW demodulator
> 150 mW silicon tuner
> 500 mW MPEG2 decoder
> Total 850 mW
> Plus I suppose an LED drain. Anything else?

I would think the display and the output amps will draw something too,
for whatever combination of digital and analog interfaces. Whatever the
number, if the Chinese design includes VSB, it also includes an
equalizer compatible with terrestrial reception of VSB. So these numbers
should be transferrable to ATSC receivers.

> Compare to 8 Watts being not enough for 8-VSB receivers while
> turned on according to CEA.

You mean, compared with the EU specs for green DVB-T SD receivers,
correct? That's where the 8 Watt limit originated. Maybe everyone should
switch to DMB-TH?

> So how much does the typical 8-VSB receiver draw today while
> on?

I think we determined the Digital Stream and clones go from 18 (Humax
HFA-100) to 22 watts (Accurian) on, depending on specific model, 2 watts
standby. But, of course, these are relatively un-integrated, 3rd
generation sets, not designed with any specific power draw goals (other
than any goals which may have been established internally, by the
manufacturers).