[opendtv] Re: Charirman Genachowski speech at NAB

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:24:03 -0400

He says incentive auctions are a win-win for broadcasters and broadband, and a "slam dunk" for the public. I'm not so sure about that last part. At least, not for those who actually use FOTA TV.

There are still folks in Ohio and Pennsylvania who ride in horse drawn buggies. Is this a valid argument against the need for roads for automobiles?

IF FOTA TV goes away it will not be caused by the governments' hunger for the proceeds from spectrum auctions. It will be caused by the failure of the business model of broadcasters. There is nothing in what the FCC is proposing that will end broadcasting. It is up to broadcasters to determine if they can continue to operate profitably or bail. Technology will more than make up for any loss of spectrum.

He says voluntary incentive auctions are voluntary, although the broadcaster might not be allowed to remain in its existing 6 MHz channel. Interesting.

Why. Clearly they are going to repack the spectrum again. Some will bail, some will stay, but may need to be relocated.

He doesn't seem to understand the comment that if two broadcasters share spectrum, mobile DTV will suffer. Or at least, he responds with generalities about "business models," which makes me wonder.

Why? If the correct transmission technology is chosen, mobile DTV may well have a chance. The current crippled ATSC MHP standard is the problem - it is too inefficient, too fragile, and highly unlikely to be implemented in most mobile devices.

Again, this is mostly about business models. Delivering HD streams to fixed receivers "may not" be the application that will allow broadcasters to survive. And again, this does not mean that you would lose the ability to receive free broadcasts in your home. Clearly it is possible to deliver a competitive MVPD service in the spectrum, aka Freeview.

He doesn't buy the argument that we need a new broadcast standard first. I tend to agree on that. Unless the "new standards" proponents are prepared for big changes, such as (a) deploying a dense mesh of towers to exploit MIMO advantages throughout market areas, or (b) installing regional networks to allow SFNs to really save on spectrum, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that appreciable amounts of spectrum can be saved with a modulation change.

Nor does switching to H.264 seem to have the 2:1 benefits that one keeps reading about. Even the French scheme, where they increased from two to three HD programs in a 24 MHz channel, doesn't support the 2:1 hype. Not unless these are all sports programming, which they are not. (Compare this with the common mix of 1 HD + 3 SD, in a 19 Mb/s channel, with MPEG-2 compression. Assume whatever numbers you like.)

But a change to compression would seem like the simplest of all. Perhaps make it a jump to H.265, while we're at it.

What is needed is a reliable. flexible transmission infrastructure to deliver bits. All the rest of this stuff is applications layer trivia that can and will change continuously. It would be a huge mistake to saddle broadcasters with ANOTHER "point" standard that defines the entire system from transmitter to receiver.