[opendtv] Re: Charging to Use "Free" Spectrum

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:29:07 -0500

In lieu of purchasing spectrum, any OTA broadcaster that leases bits or charges
for a subscription service pays 10% of the gross to the US Government annually.
 I believe that this arrangement will allow for a more flexible use of the
spectrum that is less disruptive to the viewing public than a straight spectrum
auction would be.  It allows different business models to be tried, and if they
fail the underlying service doesn't also go away.

How much did UNLV spend in recent years on new antennas, transmitters,
encoders, and the ability to simulcast ATSC and NTSC for the better part of a
decade?  I know MSU spent a ton of money on the digital transition.  I won't
begrudge a local station from trying to recoup part of that forced investment,
even though there isn't much that ATSC is really good for other than being a
placeholder for access to cable subscribers.  (Right, Craig?  ;) )

John