[opendtv] Canadians fret over analog TV shutoff

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 16:15:53 -0500

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000374460

Analog shutoff in Canada is 31 August 2011. I would expect that for some time,
perhaps as far back as 1 March 2007 (like here), Canadian TV sets on store
shelves have been integrated ATSC TVs?

One interesting detail in the article: exclusively OTA TV households in Canada
are only 7 percent of the total. But they are still concerned, because of
secondary sets which rely on OTA. And even more interesting, the Canadian
Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission finds "untenable" that
anyone would be forced to pay for TV after analog shutoff, if they haven't been
paying previously. Even the few households out in the booneys, the vast
majority of which use DBS.

Contrast that with our new FCC's attitude.