[opendtv] Re: Canada Says "OK" to HD Radio

  • From: John Golitsis <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:13:40 -0500

I have no idea regarding the "health" of DAB in other markets, but what I said was and is certainly a major factor in Canada. The cost of non-"North American" products is not related to components. It's related to buying power and the fact that Canada requires bilingual packaging and documentation. For example, Panasonic Canada buys from the factory in combination with Panasonic USA. If they were to purchase small quantities on their own, they'd pay a much higher price, then they'd have to re-package it on top of that.

NAD is really a Canadian company with a large presence in Europe, so the DAB support is not so much of a surprise there.

On 8-Jan-07, at 12:57 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

John Golitsis wrote:

I meant anywhere, not just in Canada. DAB is having a tough time of it
in Europe too, even though tuners like the NAD C445 should be similar to an HD Radio tuner, from an operational and cost point of view. They work
with legacy AM and FM as well as DAB.

Maybe HD Radio will also have a hard time selling, we'll see.

On the price issue, naw. Power supplies these days are often of the
120/240 variety, sometimes auto-detecting, and the demods are small
potatoes too. That NAD C445 should work in Canada too, since it tunes to
the VHF Band III and L band. In Canada, I think they only allow L band
for DAB. It does cost more than the Sangean, about 300 pounds, but I
think that's mostly due to its audiophile status and low volume sales.

I still had the receipt for my old AM/FM tuner I just replaced. It was
an NAD unit, and in 1982 it cost $20 more than the Sangean HDT-1 I just bought. Not a bad service life. It was the oldest component in my TV and
stereo setup.