[opendtv] Re: Cablevision to appeal network DVR ruling

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:28:39 -0400

Would it work if the end user was part of a co-op that stored and
forwarded content to members I wonder? There was someone I was talking
to in Canada that was doing this with MythTV in his home for his
neighbors as I remember it.

Bob Miller

On 3/26/07, Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 11:20 AM -0400 3/26/07, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>I suppose this ruling makes it even more desirable to incorporate
>digital receivers in recording devices available to consumers. And
>again, what they call "remote-storage DVR" in this piece is actually a
>device inside the cable network, not on consumer premises.

This decision was expected. I have been writing about this for years.
The Fair Use legislation and rulings apply only to the consumer, not
a middleman trying to make a buck leveraging the  content owned by
others.

That being said, on demand viewing of copyrighted content is a huge
growing business for cable. But this requires that the cable company
obtain the rights to the content and share the revenues generated.