[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 18:50:04 -0800

  Most of the LP stations have, thus far, not participated in the DTV
transistion, probably cuz there weren't enough channels for double NTSC/ATSC
assignments.
  <jw>  There are more than a few LP/Tx stations already building out companion
channels, but there's a nit to pick in you terminology, since there are no
assignments or allocations for LPTV and tv translators.    The other side of
that is that the new channels cannot create more than deminimus interference to
full service stations operating on allocated channels, and LPTV/Tv translators
must accept interference from full service stations.  If the interference is
great, you're unlikely to have much service.

  In 2009, when Analog LP stations transition to DTV, they could team together
to share
  several different subprograms on a single transmitter, as we already see in
L.A.
  (KVEA-DT, KXLA-DT, KVMD-DT).

  Since DTV stations can be paced into nearly EVERY channel position across the
  greater metro area, that's a LOT of available program capacity....

  Related question: what's going to happen to all of that expensive hardware
when current Analog
  and duplicate DTV stations transition to their final configuration and nearly
half the
  transmitters/towers in America become "excess".....

  <jw>  Gonna be a whole lot of cheap used, but recent vintage high quality
(digital ready) transmitters and exciters on the marketplace.  A customer of
mine is just waiting to buy.  Towers are virtually worthless; the cost of
dismantling, transport and reassembly is so great that the market is largely
the third world.  Not to forget the siting issues that are so relevant in the
West.

  I'm predicting a bunch are simply shut down and an even bigger bunch will be
upgraded
  to carry some of the current LP programs plus a bunch of new niche
stations....

  And perhaps even delivery of movies (HD-DVD, p*orn, whatever) via encrypted
MPEG4 streams...

  <jw>  It's always hard to get pay tv approved since it's a non-broadcast
service.  Easier with LPTV than full service.
  John willkie

  holl_ands