[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 19:29:28 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> My point is that niche programming is only somewhat
> available on cable [for a price] or on DBS [for a price].
> It is not available for free anywhere, the ARTS Channel
> excepted, but that's assuming you have spent a grand or
> so on an antenna and receiver..

Richard's examples might not have been perfect, but I'd say that DTT
multicasts do bring at least some programming that you'd have to
consider "niche." How else would you describe these examples? (All but
one of these are during prime time.)

1. Travel and sewing programs programs on 26.2 (PBS)

2. US and British athletes, police, and military training and living as
Vikings, gladiators, and Centurions on 26.3

3. Historical natural disasters on 26.4

4. Russian TV programs on 30.2 (MHz Network)

5. Nigerian TV programs on 30.4, not in prime time.

6. Childrens' programming on 66.2 (Pax)

7. Food/wine and medical info programs on 66.3

8. Religious programming on 66.6 (you did mention these).

Some of this stuff is actually quite addictive, once you start watching.
I'd say that DTT brings some niche programming to FOTA TV, but again,
not much (yet) from the major broadcasters.

I would be amazed if the "niche programming" available now on cable were
of a higher caliber than much of this stuff, actually. Digital Cox does
carry all of the WETA multicasts I listed, but in the pages and pages
and pages and pages of programs I scrolled through, I didn't see the Pax
and MHz Networks niche stuff. Maybe I missed it.