[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 17:18:51 -0500

  -----Original Message-----
  From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Richard Hollandsworth
  Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 4:51 PM
  To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception
in Cable Boxes

  It would also give cable systems "cover" to argue against Multicast Must
Carry.
  They could argue that there was NO NEED to carry dozens (hundreds?) of
religious/anti-religious/girl scouts/pop warner/shopping/high school
sports/etc channels--just connect an antenna....

  holl_ands

  [Cliff Benham] Although there are some religious OTA broadcasters, please
tell me where there are any OTA analog or digital broadcasts of
"anti-religious/girl scouts/pop warner/shopping/high school sports/etc
channels" in the US.

  To the best of my knowledge they are all on cable or satellite. But NOT
OTA.

  There is only one "free speech" channel and that is carried by Dish, but
not by DirecTV.

  There is only one ARTS channel which runs free 24 hours a day on C-Band,
but is not carried by many broadcasters unless it is for a half hour at 1AM,
or later and almost never, even for short segments by cable. I installed a
2.4 meter antenna and purchased a 4DTV receiver just so I could watch
Classic Arts Showcase whenever I want.

  My point is that niche programming is only somewhat available on cable
[for a price] or on DBS [for a price].
  It is not available for free anywhere, the ARTS Channel excepted, but
that's assuming you have spent a grand or so on an antenna and receiver..