[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 13:51:01 -0800 (PST)

It would also give cable systems "cover" to argue against Multicast Must Carry.
They could argue that there was NO NEED to carry dozens (hundreds?) of
religious/anti-religious/girl scouts/pop warner/shopping/high school sports/etc
channels--just connect an antenna....

holl_ands

===================================
John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: The concept itself sounds
radical -- who remembers how cable fought the
$0.05 per unit a/b switch a few decades back?

It would help establish the primacy of the cable STB (as opposed to
cablecard enabled receivers), would -- in strong signal areas -- save cable
bandwidth for widely-available signals, and would minimize the difficult of
the SCTE 54/SCTE 65 switch that stbs need to do when switching from ota to
cable-only signals.

And, it would certainly help cable firms navigate retrans issues at least a
bit, but for the people in hard-to-reach (by RF areas) would make them
second class citizens.  If a cable company dropped a signal due to retrans
falling through, cable customers in hard to reach (by RF) areas would find
out that their friends who subscribe to cable but live in strong signal
areas could watch a network signal that they could not.

The would call the cable company, and the cable company would be able to
offer them no alternative.

I'm not sure it's a solution.  Maybe it's an indication that cable is
starting to think about differentiating itself from OTA broadcasting instead
of operating under the conceit that they are in the broadcasting business.
It's more likely a partial work-around, which would tend to support your
thesis, Dale.