[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:22:16 -0800 (PST)

I should have said when most of the approx. 2,128, Analog Low Power and 4,737
Translator
stations can BEGIN the DTV transition in Feb2009 as channels
freqs become available:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-04-220A1.pdf

Obviously, it's impossible to "flash-cut" all of them to DTV all at once, as is
discussed in the above.
[Not enough transmitter/tower crews.....]
And note that it clearly states that ALL of these stations must transition to
DTV....although the end date is T.B.D.

BTW: FCC is (was?) accepting applications to either simulcast or "flash-cut" to
DTV:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-05-2546A1.pdf
So they could still TRY to obtain a license now, subject to the usual
interference constraints....

holl_ands

Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:
> There is no requirement for LP stations to transition to DTV in 2009.
>
> Bob Miller

Ha!  Then if I was running an LP station I'd wait until after 2/09 and try to
pick up some extra equipment for fire sale prices after the  broadcasters have
less use for the redundancy.

- Tom

> On 3/9/07, Richard Hollandsworth  wrote:
>
>> Whereas with NTSC, only one program could be carried >>per channel,
>> ATSC can support as many as five or six.
>> This significantly changes the economic equation, >>making it easier for
>> niche programs to lease bits, rather >>than buying a transmitter and
>> building a tower.
>>
>> Most of the LP stations have, thus far, not participated in >>the DTV
>> transistion, probably cuz there weren't enough >>channels for double
>> NTSC/ATSC assignments.
>>
>> In 2009, when Analog LP stations transition to DTV, they >>could team
>> together to share several different >>subprograms on a single transmitter,
>> as we already see >>in L.A.
>> (KVEA-DT, KXLA-DT, KVMD-DT).
>>
>> Since DTV stations can be paced into nearly EVERY >>channel position across
>> the greater metro area, that's a >>LOT of available program capacity....
>>
>> Related question: what's going to happen to all of that >>expensive hardware
>> when current Analog and duplicate >>DTV stations transition to their final
>> configuration and
>> nearly half the transmitters/towers in America become "excess".....
>>
>> I'm predicting a bunch are simply shut down and an even >>bigger bunch will
>> be upgraded to carry some of the >>current LP programs plus a bunch of new
>> niche >>stations....
>>
>> And perhaps even delivery of movies (HD-DVD, p*orn, >>whatever) via
>> encrypted MPEG4 streams...
>>
>> holl_ands

 Get your own web address.