[opendtv] Re: CableLabs Proposes Specifications for OTA Reception in Cable Boxes

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:10:32 -0500

At 11:23 AM -0800 3/9/07, Dale Kelly wrote:
It occurs to me that this maybe to position Cable companies to take a
tougher stance in retransmission consent  negotiations. Any thoughts?

I think that Dale is correct about this angle on the announcement, however, I think it may go further in terms of future competitive implications.

It appears that the cable industry may FINALLY be forced to open up the market for STBs. Hopefully the FCC will not back down (again) on the legislated (1996) requirement to open up this market. The contention point has been the requirement for smart cards for competitors, while the cable industry is using hardwired (motherboard) security. With a downloadable security regime, third party STBs and DTV enabled computers and appliances (like AppleTV) will be in a better position to compete with the cable company offerings.

It could be that the cable industry realizes that the STB marketplace is going to become more competitive, and that the ability to receive OTA broadcasts is likely to be a feature pushed by competitors.