[opendtv] Re: Cable Industry: Economic interests of cable companies are diverging

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 06:36:02 -0400

On May 29, 2013, at 6:07 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I already said that, but in far fewer words: "the CEA too was in the pockets
> of the MVPDs."

No Bert. The CEA was in the pocket of the FCC. There was NO WAY that they were
going to open up their systems to third party attachments (ala Ma Bell and
phones); They make far too much money on STBs. These systems are not all the
same, and the digital content protection systems are the keys to their kingdom.

You mentioned that you did not like the Broadcast Flag ruling from Powell's
FCC. This is essentially the same thing - keep the content locked up in those
walled gardens!

> People should be allowed to make stupid choices if they so choose. The point
> is, now there are alternatives. With the Internet available as an open
> medium, "demand pull" can come from a different direction than "supply push."
> You just won't acknowledge that demand pull exists. You're happier to be led
> by the supply push hand.

Yes Bert, demand pull does exist. Just look at what happened to the music
industry. But it is very difficult to pull an intractable force. The media
conglomerates are not going to let what happened to the music industry happen
to them. Just look at how much money is flowing to College and professional
athletics for programming rights - somebody has to pay these billions and that
content will be protected no matter how it reaches the consumer. The same is
true for the highest value content distributed by the conglomerates - movies,
dramas and sitcoms. And I'm not talking about the broadcast networks - they no
longer get the best stuff; it goes to HBO, ShowTime, and increasingly cable
networks.

>> The plates on the table are going to be rearranged, but in the
>> end, we will still be paying for content.
>
> In the end, I feel no urge to support a business of
> million-dollar-per-TV-episode actors. Just as I feel no urge to support
> multi-million dollar per year pro athletes.

So you NEVER watch the stuff that CBS, ABC, NBC and Fox let leak into the
Internet after it has run on the broadcast networks. And you never use your
ATSC tuner and antenna set-up that you are so proud of? An episode of CSI,
NCIS, Grey's Anatomy et al cost millions to produce.

> Those who feel obliged to support the above SHOULD continue to subscribe to
> MVPDs, pay the increasing rates, and oppose any form of cable regulation.
> After all, I can watch them FOTA or FOTI too. So ... thanks, Craig!

Thanks for being honest Bert. You DO watch the stuff you like…

As long as it is available FOTA or FOTT.