[opendtv] Re: Cable Industry: Economic interests of cable companies are diverging

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 22:07:11 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The CEA understood the market dynamics, which is why they opposed
> the FCC tuner mandates for digital TVs; ...
> they also understood that the cable industry had the lobbying
> muscle to protect their proprietary digital systems;

I already said that, but in far fewer words: "the CEA too was in the pockets of
the MVPDs."

> Who cares about ala carte?
>
> The vast majority of homes that are paying MVPD subscriber fees.

People should be allowed to make stupid choices if they so choose. The point
is, now there are alternatives. With the Internet available as an open medium,
"demand pull" can come from a different direction than "supply push." You just
won't acknowledge that demand pull exists. You're happier to be led by the
supply push hand.

> The plates on the table are going to be rearranged, but in the
> end, we will still be paying for content.

In the end, I feel no urge to support a business of
million-dollar-per-TV-episode actors. Just as I feel no urge to support
multi-million dollar per year pro athletes.

Those who feel obliged to support the above SHOULD continue to subscribe to
MVPDs, pay the increasing rates, and oppose any form of cable regulation. After
all, I can watch them FOTA or FOTI too. So ... thanks, Craig!