[opendtv] Re: Cable Industry: Economic interests of cable companies are diverging

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 01:18:50 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Hey Bert
>
> Remember Michael Powell - the commish when the FCC put in place the ATSC
> tuner mandate you loved so much?

Yes, as Commish, he was the best one easily. IMO, the only thing he sort of
"got wrong" was the broadcast flag flap. Certainly the "tuner mandate" was a
perfectly valid move, analogous to the previous UHF mandate of the early 1960s.
And speaking of NCTA, was the "tuner mandate" not, ironically, about the only
thing available at the time to stymie the NCTA? (Did I tell you we just got
another movie channel, just yesterday?)

Hey, remember all the belly-aching from the CEA about how "tuners" would cost
$200? Make me laugh. EVERYONE seemed to be in the pockets of the MVPDs. Even
the CEA. And ain't that true even today, wrt crippled Internet access?

> There may be hope, however, now that McCain has filed a bill to force ala
> carte on the cable industry.
>
> Then again, me thinks Bert would still not be interested in a subscription
> service where he pays only for what he wants to watch...

You are correct on your last point. However I view this a la carte issue with
thorough disinterest. It's a side issue. Bundles can make a lot of sense for a
lot of people, and especially can help out those poor struggling TV producers
you often lament about. Those whose stuff would never be seen on MVPD one-way
streams otherwise.

Who cares about a la carte? The whole walled garden approach is what needs to
go. The a la carte discussion is "so last century."