[opendtv] Re: Cable Hookup

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:04:39 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

This is part of a pattern, since you've never been connected to cable.  I
haven't made a connection like this in the last 18 days.  I suspect that you
haven't made such a connection in your life, since you've never been connected
to cable.  (My family was laggardly; we didn't connect to cable until October
1966.)

Also, as anybody who has actually tried to tune in cable channels while
connected to cable would tend to know, cable channels are a superset of over
the air channels.  (And, I'm wondering where one configures a tv set to tune in
channels 1-13)  Cable drops in 'mid-band" and "superband" channels between ota
13 and 14, but once they run out of those channels, which most do nowadays,
they start using UHF channels.

The ota (14-83) and cable UHF frequencies are the same; it's the channel
numbering that differs.  (And, cable can and often does use channels above ota
69, to the limit of their amps and distro cable.)

The last time I checked, there was zero difference between channels 2-13
vis-a-vis cable and over the air.  Maybe, bert, in your extensive experience
with cable connections, you have found a difference, but I doubly doubt it.