[opendtv] Re: CTIA: LG Shows Cell Phones For Mobile DTV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:43:49 -0400

I already have a pocket size AutumnWaive OnAir HD USB connected regular
ATSC receiver I can probably use with my laptop, though I've never tried
it that way and don't usually carry that dongle.   But the thought of
having it just built into my phone is much more attractive to me.  That
way if suddenly there was breaking news like an earthquake or 911 or
something I'd already be carrying the darn thing.  Hopefully the celcos
will not decide they have a disincentive to provide these since ATSC M/H
will compete with the pay video services they all have now.

As everybody has probably guessed, I'm a fan of putting all things
digital into one portable belt clip package.  Most of the size, weight,
and cost of a pocket phone, computer, or TV is in the darn keyboard,
battery, and display anyway.  There is simply no reason to duplicate
those in that form factor.  So I won't be buying any more phones that
are just phones, pocket TV's that are just TV's or pocket computers that
are just PIM's.  It makes no sense to me anymore.

I've been jealous of the Star Trek tricorders since the 1960's.  I
intend to have one.  I already have all these features on my current win
mobile phone but I really would like to add the ATSC OTA video if it was
practical, M/H or not.  Sprint is a walled garden and they jack my
channels around once in awhile.  Having a free alternative will help
keep them honest.

- Tom