[opendtv] CTIA: FCC chairman sets out four priorities to achieve mobile broadband

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:10:33 -0500

Maybe the answer is for station groups to reinvent themselves as wireless
broadband ISPs. That'll surprise the heck out of the incumbents.

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/article.asp?article_id=1989&ckt=ON

CTIA: FCC chairman sets out four priorities to achieve mobile broadband
By CAROLINE GABRIEL

Published: 8 October, 2009

This week saw two big telecoms events on either side of the Atlantic, and both
had high profile attendance from regulators, calling for more spectrum and
promising a more open approach to stimulating mobile broadband round the world.
This was the message from ITU secretary general Hamadoun Touré at the ITU
Telecoms World event in Geneva (see our round-up tomorrow), and from new FCC
chairman Julius Genachowski, who kicked off the CTIA Wireless IT and
Entertainment conference in San Diego.

After welcoming Verizon Wireless' partnership with Google, the biggest pre-show
news, he outlined a four-step plan for mobile broadband in the US. The first
step is to free up the necessary spectrum, which he called "the oxygen of our
mobile networks". While arguing that there is adequate availability for short
term needs, he warned of a looming spectrum crisis as mobile data usage
explodes.

Second, then, he wants to reallocate spectrum being used for other purposes and
start off a process of identifying this, in consultation with all involved
parties. "There are no easy pickings on the spectrum chart," he warned.

Third, he aims to create fair and workable rules for the open internet, for
both wired and wireless networks. And fourth, he wants to create an environment
that "empowers" the consumer, which in turn will boost competition and
innovation, motivating companies and individuals to take risks and be creative.

In his first major public speech as chair, he admitted there were many
unanswered questions.

"When we say that we haven't determined what we are going to do with handset
exclusivity and we want your input, we mean it," he said. "The same applies to
an open internet. We want you to be engaged."

Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO of AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets, said
during his keynote address that he applauded the FCC's efforts to open up more
spectrum and to reduce the bureaucracy for building and expanding wireless
networks. But he argued against applying the same net neutrality rules to
wireless systems as wireline, especially if the rules change after operators
have spent large sums on licenses. "The rules should not change after the
auction," he said. "How can you expect companies to invest billions of dollars
if you change the rules?"