[opendtv] Re: COFDM and equalization

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:05:32 -0400

Bob, the difference there is simply caused by the trellis code
used. Or, in other words, if you use 2/3 coding like ATSC, you
are dedicating 1/3 of the bit rate to convolutional FEC.

As we discussed some time ago, in round numbers, both
64-QAM and 8-VSB give you exactly the same bit rate in a
given channel. In the 6 MHz channel, round numbers, 30
Mb/s.

With 8-VSB, you reduce that to 20 Mb/s when you add trellis
coding, then a little more for Reed Solomon, and a little more
for other overhead, leaving you 19.39 Mb/s for payload.

With COFDM, you lose some to GI but you *may* gain it back
by applying less of a convolutional FEC. So your 19.76 Mb/s
example applies only a 3/4 FEC, and a 1/16 GI, to 64-QAM.

Now to make that more like 8-VSB, apply 2/3 FEC and the
minimum 1/32 GI, and you will get 18.096 Mb/s with
COFDM, compared with 19.39 in 8-VSB.

So that's the bit rate comparison.

To compare robustness apples with apples, it makes sense to
tune both systems for the same bit rate, or as close as
possible. So IMO they did the right thing to tune COFDM
to 19.76 Mb/s for that test.

Bert