[opendtv] Re: CMOS sensors and rolling shutters

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:54:55 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:
So it would seem that any frame-at-a-time capture designed for a fixed pixel display would not look right on a scanning CRT, and vice versa. Why isn't this more of a problem?
Because we accept a lot. I first noticed rubbery table legs with CCD cameras in 1975 (I had them in an exhibition I put together). When RCA introduced the CCD-1, the first "broadcast-quality" chip camera, I pointed the problem out regularly, and it took a while for anyone even to notice.

The helicopter footage Dave sent the link to is MUCH more noticeable.

TTFN,
Mark