[opendtv] Re: CH 6 Gets FCC STA to increase power

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:57:22 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Nobody seems to be blaming anything at all on
> multipath.   It's as if everyone forgot about it.
> Did it really get solved by new receivers? Or is
> all poor reception just being blamed on the
> sometimes obvious low power problems?

I don't know if multipath can be a major issue for the VHF problems, given that
things were working okay in UHF and the towers haven't changed. I suppose it
could be an issue in the different freq band, but wouldn't you expect UHF to be
more susceptible?

In my case, I paid special attention to that, when Ch 7 and Ch 9 were still
transmitting analog in VHF. Both showed only lagging ghost, which is good, and
the most distant ghost was ~21 usec (about 1/3 of the screen width to the right
of the main signal). So that was a hopeful sign.

Oddly enough, it was Ch 9 that had the strongest ghost, yet that one comes in
solid in digital. Ch 7 had the nicer analog picture, although it got
progressively worse as June 12 drew nearer. Signal strength seemed to drop, and
there was RF noise in the picture too. And it's still not solved for me
(although I haven't done anything to help, either, and at least downstairs, the
antenna is hardly ideally located!).

Could be that there are mites and ants at play here too, but the elephant in
the room is the low power levels. Cliff's oscilloscope outputs make that
obvious, in his case.