[opendtv] Re: CES Buzz Missing on STB

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:32:24 -0500

Hey, I always believed Gore won that one. ;-)

I'm sure the market would provide if we needed multiple news sources (and were willing to pay for them). And I agree any news monopoly is a bad idea for society. (That would be truly "Foxed" up!) However I cannot believe TV stations are doing this for altruistic reasons anyway.

So, just thinking selfish economics for a moment, why couldn't a news organization that provide news to 2-3 stations or cable companies not be more efficient than a news organization that provided news only to a small also-ran station that carried news only to remain a network affiliate? Is having their own news really profitable to small stations?

- Tom

Mark Schubin wrote:
Tom Barry wrote:

Maybe somebody can tell me why local news is mostly associated with local broadcast stations? Is that just a legacy?

It would seem there would be a greater economy of scale if local news was franchised or done by independents and then sold non-exclusively (without ads) to anyone who wanted to broadcast it, including the local broadcasters who were reluctantly forced to carry local news, the local cable companies if they wanted it, and the national or world news networks whenever something of sufficient national interest was happening locally.

Remember the 2000 election, the one that was first called for Gore on all networks? That's one thing that can happen when everyone relies on the same source of news.

TTFN,
Mark

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com