[opendtv] Re: CEA to FCC: Speed up DTV Tuner Requirement

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 08:33:14 -0400

At 8:05 AM -0400 5/7/05, Mark Schubin wrote:
>CEA members make the TVs, not CEA, but that's a minor point.  The major
>point is the elimination of the 50% requirement (or the delaying of it
>by nine months, if you prefer).  That's beneficial to receiver
>manufacturers (and maybe to the public, as receivers get better and less
>expensive).
>
>TTFN,
>Mark

Nine more months to sell cheap NTSC receivers.

With the 50% requirement, manufacturers were "forced" to offer
products that hardly anyone was interested in buying. With the 100%
requirement, everyone is FORCED to pay for the receiver they are not
interested in.

Too bad the CEA did not figure out how to couple the receiver
requirements with the Broadcast Flag ruling. IMHO the FCC does not
have the authority to force us to buy receivers that we don;t need.
What is even more bizarre is that they can force us to buy ATSC &
Cable tuners, but if we want DBS or a new Telco service, we will
still need a STB. This seems to be anti-competitive.