[opendtv] Re: CEA White Paper

  • From: Tony Neece <tonyneece@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:07:58 -0400 (EDT)

Point Very well taken.

Also what would be the benifit to the broadcaster to promote DTT only for the
viewers to go running to their local retailer to find the converters are either
not available, or would cost twice what they paid for ther fairly new TV or to
be hussled to shell out for all new equipment?

If anyone doubts that the retailers are hard-core selling the public that the
only way to receive TV is via cable or Satellite, just go into any retail
store.  The Fry's near me has had one, and only one, TV connected to an OTA
receiver connected  an old rabbit ears inside a steel reinforced (read shielded
from RF) apparently to demonstrate that OTA reception very bad.

It has been suggested here that OTA isn't actuallly free, after all we pay at
the store for the advertising that supports it.
Has anyone noticed the heavy advertising load on most of the non-pay/view cable
channels, The service we are paying a monthly fee for?

Tony