[opendtv] Re: CE manufacturers to hide upgradeable middleware inside sets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:44:58 -0400

Kon Wilms wrote:

> Why the heck would you want an ATSC receiver built into
> an IPTV box (or even a cable/sat receiver)? To receive
> the same channels (well, attempt to receive). It is
> completely useless and does nothing but add cost and
> complexity.

I don't know what you call "IPTV," but I really meant Internet TV. The
reason is, the Internet part of digital TV, i.e. the network web sites,
are now an integral part of OTA TV and also an integral part of what the
networks offer over cable and DBS.

And never mind any foreign TV streams you can access via the Internet,
that the TV service providers don't offer.

> Do you think there is some benefit to having it combined
> with tru2way?

For the consumer, sure. For the walled garden service provider, perhaps
not. After all, the full episode reruns available at the networks' web
sites can only take away from any VOD reruns a cable company may want to
charge extra for. So, as always, everything depends on your perspective.