[opendtv] Re: CE manufacturers to hide upgradeable middleware inside sets

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <konfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:18:07 -0700

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The intelligent way of incorporating ATSC receivers in all manner of "TV
> appliances" is to integrate that ATSC receiver with all other digital TV
> receivers. Which means, potentially, even an Internet Protocol receiver,
> and certainly a cable and DBS receiver.

Why the heck would you want an ATSC receiver built into an IPTV box
(or even a cable/sat receiver)? To receive the same channels (well,
attempt to receive). It is completely useless and does nothing but add
cost and complexity. Do you think there is some benefit to having it
combined with tru2way? I assure you that in the IP world concoctions
like tru2way are a complete and utter joke (and don't even get me
started on Java).

Cheers
Kon