[opendtv] Re: CE manufacturers to hide upgradeable middleware inside sets

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:04:22 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As an affirmed laggard who refuses to pay for a subscription
> TV service, why do/did you give a rats ass about this?
>
> And what the hell does this have to do with DVB?

I care about a lot of things.

The intelligent way of incorporating ATSC receivers in all manner of "TV
appliances" is to integrate that ATSC receiver with all other digital TV
receivers. Which means, potentially, even an Internet Protocol receiver,
and certainly a cable and DBS receiver.

A purported advantage of DVB, a few years back, was that the standard
already included a -C and -S variant, supposedly making such integrated
rceivers easier to implement. My response at the time was that there
were and are no insurmountable *technical* problems with creating a US
version of a combined digital TV receiver standard. The problems had all
to do with intellectual property and the desire to make things more
difficult for the consumer.

So, this article simply says that the proof is in the pudding. The
combined receiver, at least as far as cable and OTA, is indeed upon us,
and any remaining obstacles *continue* to be non-technical. Only now,
this should be obvious to everyone.