[opendtv] CDNs

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:26:33 -0700

Kon wrote:

"It's far simpler. If you want to deliver video to a large audience,
use a CDN. Upload your MP4, and they provide everything else for you,
including realtime reencapsulation to popular protocols and
cross-platform players. Which is exactly what we (and many other) CDNs
do. You're basically paying nothing for the cost of making the player
or delivering the alternative protocols."

Yes, the CDN was the second option on my list.

Aren't CDNs expensive?  Last I checked, we couldn't afford them.  We were
looking at $1K per month for our delivery and storage needs.  I suppose to
someone that monetizes it, that isn't too bad.  But for us, we couldn't
afford it and don't have that kind of income.  I personally think it is the
way to go, but we have other barriers.

I suppose we are unique in that we must deal with state government finances
rather than operate as a business.  We get $0 for maintenance, support
contracts, operating expenses, etc.  All technology funds go to other
departments that won't support us (equipment or media hosting).  However,
the state was willing to spend $125K for encoders, servers, storage and
software.  So we must do our own streaming and are forced with option 1
since we can't afford a software engineer to reinvent the wheel for us.
I'd like to say I could do it but there is only so much one can do in a
day.  So I suppose I have a rather skewed view of the whole thing.

FYI; If anyone out there wants to do it for us for half of what they are
worth, take on half a dozen other responsibilities, and are interested in
living in Las Vegas, there might be an opportunity coming up very soon!

Dan