[opendtv] CBS "Under the Dome" online access

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:54:38 +0000

Well, so here's a new twist from CBS.

Normally, to get access to a show online, next day, you go to the CBS site and
can stream that show in a couple of different ways. Direct from their site,
with ad breaks that last around 2 minutes each.

Now go to their site and try this for "Under the Dome," the pilot episode of
which aired last week:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/under-the-dome/video

Scroll down the page a little, to get to the pilot. Normally, you'd simply
click and watch the episode. Try it and see what happens.

CBS is getting greedier, apparently, and they give you just these four options:

1. The apparently preferred option is Amazon Prime. Ad-free.

2. The other three options are Xfinity, AT&T Uverse, or Dish. So-called "free
stream with ads." (Not sure what "streaming" from Dish means. Dish must have
some agreement with ISPs.)

The good news is, CBS is smart enough not to force people to have MVPD
subscriptions to get Internet access of their shows. (The other good news is,
my wife has an Amazon Prime account, which she got to benefit from free
shipping of stuff.) The bad news is, this is a FOTA show, which by all rights
CBS should also stream, with ads, as FOTI, at least as an option. This creeping
greed is annoying.

At the start of the process, Amazon downloaded some sort of DRM stuff into my
home PC-STB, after which the show started automatically. They give you the
option of HD or SD. I tried both. They both ended up as 300 Kb/s streams in my
case, most likely because I have a 1.5 Mb/s link still, and my wife was
streaming something else at the same time. Oh, and IIRC, it came using
Silverlight. Easy to see the stream starting at low resolution, e.g. after each
nulled-out ad break, then quickly ramping up to something quite acceptable, on
the par with CBS's own streams.