[opendtv] Re: CBS Affiliates Board, Network Agree on All Access OTT Terms | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:01:30 -0400

On Mar 15, 2015, at 8:56 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> So Bert. Now we know why CBS All Access was only available from CBS
>> owned and operated stations.
>
> So, unless CBS mis-located my IP address, for some reason our local CBS
> affiliate had already been allowed to participate.

Perhaps.

Did you pay the $5.99 subscription fee to find out?

> In any event, the important point is that CBS has found an Internet role for
> its affiliated local broadcasters, Craig, as I suggested before. This could
> potentially become a migration path for the replacement of FOTA TV with FOTI
> TV, in addition to all the nice stuff archival stuff you get for a fee. Of
> course, that can't happen until Internet TV is available to "everyone."
> Still, it's a path.

Not quite. You will get the live feed from your local CBS affiliate if you
subscribe to CBS All Access. That's what the revenue split was all about.

So the migration path is more like FOTA to POTI (pay over the Internet)...

A fitting acronym for network TV.