[opendtv] Re: CBA and Microprose team up on NTIA DTV Boxes

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:24:13 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Well, they need headlines.  Unnoted here was that their writ of mandamus -- as
I predicted -- was quickly disposed of last week in the DC Circuit.  In
response, they announced that they were seeking $450 million congressional
funding so their stations could transition to digital.

Very bad idea, that one, since 1) most of their members are profit-minded
commercial broadcasters and 2)there's not a snowball's chance in hell that
they'll get $0.01 from the Treasury.  (THEY ARE A SECONDARY SERVICE AND CAN
DECIDE TO GO OFF THE AIR WITHOUT NOTICE.)

So, let them fool themselves with this.  It won't necessarily lead to success
for the vendor.

At one time, the leadership of CBA was strongly libertarian; indeed,
competiting libertarian camps.  Not now.

Kraft-Ebbing has identified seven stages of grief.  CBA seems to be beyond
denial and anger, and is in the bargaining phase.  I can't wait until they get
to acceptance.