[opendtv] Re: CAS V/S DRM

  • From: Gerard Fernando <Gerard.Fernando@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 23:27:55 -0800

 Here's my description of CAS and DRM. CAS is intended to handle limited
content access scenarios where the consumption is immediate. By contrast,
DRMprotects the content during its entire lifetime. CAS can be viewed as
supporting a subset of the full set of functionalities of DRM (putting it
another way, CAS is a degenerate form of DRM). Both methods encrypt the
content. I wouldn't view CAS necessarily supporting "pipe protection". When
Ithink of "pipe protection" SSL comes to my mind.
Regards

Gerard

Prashant Desai wrote: How about the scrambling with CAS ? it encrypts the
content bits &on top of it also provides the Pipe protection , correct ? Pls
advise , Regards, Prashant -----Original Message----- From:
opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[1] [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[2]] On
Behalf Of Kon Wilms Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:01 PM To:
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[3]; opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx[4] Subject: [opendtv] Re:
CASV/S DRM What's precisely difference between CAS Scrambling &DRM Systems ?
Well if you want to put it simply: CAS = Pipe protection. Encrypt the
dataflow and provide conditional reception of bits (the bits may or may not
be wrapped with DRM). DRM = Content protection. Encrypt the bits in their
stored state (file, ...) and provide playback/location/aging rights via the
wrapper (they may be delivered via a CAS system). Cheers Kon
thesubject line. Disclaimer note on content of this message including
enclosure(s) and attachments(s): The contents of this e-mail are the
privileged and confidential material of VSNL. The information is solely
intended for the individual/entity it is addressed to. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, please be aware that you are not
authorized in any which way whatsoever to read, forward, print, retain, copy
or disseminate this message or any part of it. We apologize if you have
received this e-mail in error and would request you to please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer. The
views expressed in this e-mail message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender expressly, and with authority, states them to be the
views of VSNL. This e-mail message including attachment(s), if any, is
believed to be free of any virus and VSNL is not responsible for any loss or
damage arising in any way from its use
thesubject line.

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx