[opendtv] Re: Brown includes spectrum in 36bn windfall

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:08:21 -0400

At 7:41 AM -0400 3/25/07, John Limpert wrote:
Maybe I'm getting too old, but I think maintaining a viable OTA television broadcast system is still important for those people who can't afford, or don't have access to, cable and DBS.

What would the average American consumer say if he was told that the only way to get color was via DBS or cable?

HD will become commonplace. It's just a question of time. It's irresponsible not to plan for it.

There are several possible scenarios for Freeview IF all of the spectrum is auctioned:

1. Move back to 64 QAM constellations after they can raise power levels and use the extra capacity for HD.

2. Bid for spectrum like everyone else.

3. Wait a few more years until the next 2X improvement in compression technology allows more channels to be carried in the same space.

And then there is the other possibility that alternative distribution technologies like the Internet will provide services that are perceived by the public as being more desirable than the current advertiser supported free-to-air broadcast model.