[opendtv] Re: Brown includes spectrum in £36bn windfall

  • From: "John Limpert" <john.a.limpert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 07:41:36 -0400

Maybe I'm getting too old, but I think maintaining a viable OTA television
broadcast system is still important for those people who can't afford, or
don't have access to, cable and DBS.

What would the average American consumer say if he was told that the only
way to get color was via DBS or cable?

HD will become commonplace. It's just a question of time. It's irresponsible
not to plan for it.

On 3/24/07, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is a little humorous, no? Tell me that politicians aren't the same
everywhere.

The avergage American consumer would say, "What's the problem? You can
always get HD from DBS or cable. I don't get it. What's all the noise
about?"

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=2321

Brown includes spectrum in £36bn windfall

Chancellor Gordon Brown has included the auction of spectrum liberated
from
digital switchover among asset sales that are set to raise £36bn for the
Treasury between now and 2011. The amount is twice the forecast made in
December.

The Treasury has not set a target for the auction. But Brown's inclusion
of
the spectrum among other asset sales just a day after Ofcom's consultaton
on
its Digital Dividend Review—which recommends all the liberated spectrum be
sold—has unsettled public service broadcasters hoping that some spectrum
be
set aside for high-definition channels on Freeview.

"We are extremely disappointed that the ink is barely dry on the
consultation responses sent to Ofcom and meanwhile the Treasury is
factoring
in significant revenues from these auctions," Richard Lindsay-Davies,
director general of the Digital TV Group, told The Guardian.

An Ofcom spokesman was quoted by The Guardian as saying: "Our priority is
increase the supply of spectrum, reducing scarcity, and so creating more
opportunities for innovation and competition. It is not Ofcom's objective
raise revenue for the Government."

Earlier this month Trade and Industry minister Margaret Hodge sought to
dispel industry speculation that the Treasury is seeking to maximise
revenues from a spectrum auction by not setting aside capacity for HD on
Freeview.

Addressing the Digital TV Group's annual summit—which was dominated by the
spectrum issue—Hodge echoed Ofcom's statement in December that it did not
believe it was best-placed to decide which services should get access to
spectrum, and insisted: "This spectrum [auction] is not about maximising
money for the Treasury."

Last week broadcasting minister Shaun Woodward said ministers were keeping
an "open mind" on calls for spectrum use after digital switchover.

Lovelace Consulting 22.03.2007