[opendtv] Re: Broadcasting is 100 years old

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:55:08 -0500

Cliff wrote:

It occurs to me that in 100 years we have come full circle.

Or perhaps, in 100 years, nothing much has changed. Even back then, with the invention of AM, and later with Armstrong's invention of FM, it seems like everyone involved continues to worry more about protecting their IP (intellectual property) than to enthuse about their inventions as the rest of us might prefer. Nothing has changed in that regard. Armstrong in particular seems to have ruined the rest of his life with his IP squabbles.

The article below stated that very few people could receive
Fessenden's transmission unless they were "equipped with
Fessenden's wireless receivers' or maybe there were some
early crystal radios in the hands of experimenters that night.

At any rate, here we are, 100 years later and very few in
the U.S. can receive free over the air digital TV transmissions
because there are relatively few receivers either for sale or
that work.

The less pessimistic take on this is that just as AM reception became old hat in short order, so that no one would continue to question whether or not "it works," the same is happening with DTT. As receivers become incorporated in TVs, they will be taken for granted and used to some extent -- yet to be determined just how big that extent might be.

And let's see what happens to availability of FOTA TV recording devices, in three months' time.

Tonight's ABC World News program added to the problem by
stating that most people can't get digital TV because they
don't realize they need a subscription for it.

With disinformation like that at the network level, OTA will be
gone soon after 2009.

The funny thing is, going through the Aussie posts on their DTT experiences, they complain in similar ways. And in some of their opinions, people in the US are far more savvy about DTV than Australians are. It is disheartening when broadcasters themselves can't understand their own technology, of course.

I trust that cable systems, and their DBS and telco competition, will continue to increase their monthly rates at a healthy clip, as they have been doing. Mostly because they can. And that for this reason alone, FOTA TV will not disappear.