[opendtv] Re: Broadcasting is 100 years old

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 21:48:38 -0800

Yes, there apparently is widely varying information about the event.  IIRC,
"Empire of the Air" puts it on December 26, and has him citing poetry and
playing a violin.

"Messiah" by Handel, methinks, qualifies as Christmas music.

Kind of hard to verify that it was received by Navy ships and United Fruit
banana boats, since it's all Fessenden's recollection 20 years later, after
the introduction of RCA's implementation of Armstrong's superhetrodyne
receiver, and it was so hard to work against the RCA machine.

John Willkie

  _____