[opendtv] Re: Broadcasting is 100 years old

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 22:44:03 -0500

The Fessenden story at Slashdot is a contributed quotation, not written by anyone at Slashdot per se.

I found about the same story at the IEEE Museum website:
http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/event.php?id=3456890&lid=1
at the Hammond Museum website:
http://www.hammondmuseumofradio.org/fessenden-2006-recreation.html
and also in a story about the BBC's Fessenden Commemoriative Broadcast of 12/20/2006:
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/december2006/king_of_the_radio_waves.htm

In Dean Olsher's NPR Fessenden 'Report'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6665738
he points out that the sole source of the story about Fessenden's 1906 Christmas Eve Broadcast is contained in a deathbed letter from Fessenden himself more than 20 years later. Did he remember correctly? Did he exaggerate about the broadcast in any way?
Impossible to know, but a good story nonetheless.

Whether containing the playback of a cylinder recording of 'Largo' from Handel's opera Xerces, 'Silent Night' or 'O Holy Night' [played by Fessenden on the violin] or possibly an obscure piece by Charles Gounod, the broadcast will be commemorated live on 48 Kilocycles longwave on December 29 and 30, 2006 by a group of radio enthusiasts who recreated Marconi's transatlantic broadcast last January.

More information:
http://groups.msn.com/fessenden/christmasevebroadcastandchristmaspresents.msnw

John Willkie wrote:

Another correction to my previous post: it was Reginald A. Fessenden (a street is named after him in Washington, DC.)

As to Cliff's posting below, I tend to not get my data from Slashdot.

Indeed, there is a glaring error - even two - in the first sentence he quotes.

Wireless from this remove means "dot-dash." And, Marconi's feat came years before Fessenden's, so they weren't much of rivals in sending dot-dash. It's arguable that Fessenden was an infringer on Marconi's patents, and the United Fruit Company ships that used Fessenden's equipment for at least a time, couldn't use their Fessenden gear while near the United States because it infringed on Marconi's patents.

Of course these issues tend to get buried by most people at Slashdot.

Fessenden's feat wasn't the first wireless radio broadcast per se, but the first known transmission of voice and music. Marconi's dot-dash transmissions were intended to be received at multiple points, but were considered private transmissions and not "broadcast."

It wasn't Christmas music, but a selection from an opera. There is a clip on this at the www.npr.org <http://www.npr.org/> web site. Enter "Fessenden" in the search box.

By the way, "RCA" in this era actually means "Marconi" but that lineage is much long to even try to put out here, because it involves post-world war I patent pools and the U.S. Navy using Fessenden gear (violating Marconi patents) during the war.