[opendtv] Re: Broadcasting is 100 years old

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:08:04 -0800

Another correction to my previous post: it was Reginald A. Fessenden (a
street is named after him in Washington, DC.)

As to Cliff's posting below, I tend to not get my data from Slashdot.

Indeed, there is a glaring error - even two - in the first sentence he
quotes.

Wireless from this remove means "dot-dash."  And, Marconi's feat came years
before Fessenden's, so they weren't much of rivals in sending dot-dash.
It's arguable that Fessenden was an infringer on Marconi's patents, and the
United Fruit Company ships that used Fessenden's equipment for at least a
time, couldn't use their Fessenden gear while near the United States because
it infringed on Marconi's patents.

Of course these issues tend to get buried by most people at Slashdot.

Fessenden's feat wasn't the first wireless radio broadcast per se, but the
first known transmission of voice and music.  Marconi's dot-dash
transmissions were intended to be received at multiple points, but were
considered private transmissions and not "broadcast."

 It wasn't Christmas music, but a selection from an opera.  There is a clip
on this at the www.npr.org <http://www.npr.org/>  web site.  Enter
"Fessenden" in the search box.

By the way, "RCA" in this era actually means "Marconi" but that lineage is
much long to even try to put out here, because it involves post-world war I
patent pools and the U.S. Navy using Fessenden gear (violating Marconi
patents) during the war.

John Willkie

  _____