[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Nix Low-Power DTS Proposal

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 16:49:52 -0600

John Shutt wrote:

> Not every market has a Mt. Wilson. Case in point is our own market.
> Sticks are all over the compass, separated by 25-30 miles in some
> cases. So viewers can't park a single antenna in one location to
> get everyone. Power levels are all over the place as well, causing
> lower power stations (us) to get front end loaded right out of
> viewers' homes who happen to live closer to a 3rd adjacent running
> 9 dB more power than we are allocated .

Well, I can certainly agree that co-located transmit antennas of similar power
outpout are a good idea. But you don't need a "spectrum utility" model, or many
small sticks, to achieve that goal.

NYC seems to manage to co-locate a whole slew of transmit antennas on the
Empire State Building. As does Mt Wilson (LA) and Sutro Tower (SF). How do they
manage that without a spectrum utility? I honestly don't understand why
different US markets are so radically different in this regard.

Over here, for instance, we have four TV stations sharing a single tower. But
this was not always the case. For some inexplicable (to me) reason, a tower
once shared by Ch 7 and Ch 9 is now also shared by Ch 26 and Ch 66. Why did
this take so long? I don't know. The DTV transition seems to have helped in
this regard. We still have transmitters scattered way over to the West.

Anyway, doing this with a main transmitter site and potentially also with
smaller sites, either as SFN or MFN gap fillers, seems to me to be something
that the broadcasters themselves would want. I do not think you need to create
a separate spectrum ultility entity, or certainly a bunch of small sticks in an
unlikely SFN, to achieve this goal. IMO.