[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters Nix Low-Power DTS Proposal

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 14:23:14 -0500

Might this be OFDM based? :-)

On 2/4/2010 6:52 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 9:07 PM -0800 2/3/10, Dale Kelly wrote:
Oh if only it were so simple as investing in new transmitters......
In addition to that new transmitter, coupled with a requirement to continue operating the old transmitter for several years, many stations had to virtually duplicate the entire transmission facility by doubling studio to transmitter link capacity, enlarging or constructing new transmitter buildings, adding either new or upgrading towers and upgrading utility power and emergency generator plants. To cap that off, the major investment in new transmitting antenna and transmission line was often staggering (many of these upgrades on towers as tall as 2000ft!).
We're talking Millions....

And we are also talking about an industry with annual revenues in excess of $15 Billion per year, with many stations operating with profit margins above 20% and MOST above 10%. In other words, all of this stuff has already been paid for, except perhaps at highly leveraged station groups.

Add to this the new revenue streams from retransmission consent and the picture does not look so bleak.

Now consider the possibility that stations could off-load the operation of the utility, including the power bill, and the possibility that the telcos would pay billions for another 100 MHz of beach front spectrum.

The Broadband Taskforce has alluded to the possibility that some broadcasters might take the money (for their spectrum) and run. What if the money was used to buy and redeploy all of the transmission assets owned by all broadcasters in the country? What if you ended up with a new transmission infrastructure that improved coverage and was paid for via retransmission consent fees?

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
Sinclair Broadcast Group
===================================
(410) 568-1535 OFFICE
(443) 677-4425 MOBILE
===================================
"Let us have faith that right makes might,
and that in faith, let us,to the end,
dare to do our duty as we understand it."
<>   ~ Abraham Lincoln ~   <><

"We cannot truly face life until we face
the fact that it will be taken away from us."
<>   ~ Billy Graham ~   <><

"We must accept finite disappointment,
but we must never lose infinite hope."
<>   ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~   <><

"If a trend cannot continue,it will stop."
<>   ~ Herbert Stein ~   <><

begin:vcard
fn:Mark A. Aitken
n:Aitken;Mark A.
org:Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.;Engineering & Operations
adr:;;10706 Beaver Dam Road;Cockeysville;MD;21030;USA
email;internet:maitken@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Director of Advanced Technology
tel;work:(410) 568-1535
tel;fax:(410) 568-1580