[opendtv] Re: Broadcasters, Cable Spar over Retrans

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:27:54 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yes, high budget movies are an industry unto themselves. A risky business,
> as many never make back what they cost. But there are many low budget
> films that break through and make big profits.

Big budget movie are a huge business, and Hollywood plays on the world stage
with these. These are the rule, not the exception, Craig. The exception is the
small budget movies that make it big.

Many big budget movies make back what they cost in the first or second weekend
showing alone. And the ones that don't, they go on DVD or MVPDs, and keep
making money. It is obvious why the owners don't want to give them away.

> Not a convincing argument. What you are saying is that content owners
> CONTROL access to that content. The ISP is just a pipe, perhaps running
> some e-mail spam filters.

Not exactly. I used that one example, but more generally, I am saying that the
for any number of reasons an ISP can put controls on the content, as it sees
fit. For example, MVPD/ISPs that use the actual IPTV model, i.e. a cable-like
network that happens to use Internet Protocols, know very well how to create a
tiered structure on their network. So yes, the ISPs do block those premium tier
streams from subscribers who don't pay for premium, when the ISP is using IPTV.

It is simply false to state categorically that ISPs do not do something that
(a) they already do, in certain cases, and (b) they can easily implement
anytime they want. If the knob is available, if the ISP isn't breaking any
laws, and if the ISP's business model would benefit from such controls, that
knob will be used.

So, there is no reason to assume that what is done by systems like AT&T U-verse
will not be duplicated by other more traditional MVPDs, after they turn
themselves into broadband IP pipes exclusively.

> On the other hand, some content owners are allowing their content to
> flow freely to certain devices while blocking other devices. THAT is
> not being neutra, and has NOTHING to do with the ISP.

Sorry, Craig, but you are being disingenuous. "Neutral" has always applied to
the IP pipe, not to the owner of the content. No one is forcing Hollywood to
provide its material "fairly" (whatever that means) to every venue that asks.
They can sell it for a different price to different buyers, as only they see
fit.

And you should be perfectly okay with this, since you have been making a
similar case for MVPDs and their proprietary boxes for years. If the owner of
the network wants to restrict access to their property, you have argued, if
they "prefer" that you rent unnecessary hardware year after year to connect to
their network, it's their property. Right? Same applies here with the content.